Video Cover Photo Feature
In April, Facebook tested uploading videos as cover photos on Facebook pages, and has now expanded this feature to select pages. The specifications for video cover photos are 820 x 312 pixels and 20-90 second videos that will auto-play and auto-loop on mute. More >>
Facebook Providing “Landing Page Views” Ad Metric
Facebook will soon provide better click data from business website links included in Facebook Ads through the new “Landing Page Views” metric. Here’s what you need to know:
- Previously, if a user clicked a website link in an ad, but ended up back tracking or not landing on the page due to load time, that click would still be counted as a click to the advertiser’s site.
- With the “Landing Page Views” metric, the click is tracked if the advertiser’s site is actually loaded, providing a more accurate metric to weed out unofficial clicks.
- Advertisers can prioritize the “Landing Page Views” metric by selecting Facebook’s traffic ad objective.
According to Marketing Land, some other metrics coming down the pipeline include distinguishing new website visitors from returning visitors and deeper Page discovery and follower metrics, for example, how many followers were gained through organic posts versus ads. More >>
Discover Tab Rolled Out on Messenger
Facebook Messenger is officially rolling out the Discover tab to better connect users with business chatbots and accounts. Here’s what you need to know:
- The tab is organized into sections – recently used and featured – and then further broken down into broad categories like finance and education to encourage user discovery.
- The “Automated Messaging” tag below the account name lets the user know if a business account is a bot. If the account does not have this tag, it is a business account that has staffers on the other end answering queries.
- The Recently Used section only includes business accounts and bots that a user has messaged, not business pages that the user likes or follows.
As Facebook looks to expand business-bot availability and functionality within their Messenger app, more opportunities and potential will follow for a better integration with our facilities. More >>
Incorporate Links in Stories to Drive Web Traffic
Instagram slowly and quietly began rolling out link incorporation in Instagram Stories to all business Instagram accounts (as opposed to just verified accounts) with 10,000+ followers in May, and many businesses and publishers have seen solid metrics. If you have Instagram incorporated into your social strategy, here’s what you need to know:
- So far, this link incorporation has proved effective, with some brands and publishers finding that 15-25% of users who view that story are swiping up.
- Link incorporation does not correlate to a Story’s performance (algorithmic ranking).
- One publisher found that viewers favored site links that open within Instagram’s in-app browser, keeping the user in the Instagram app.
Using a combination of link incorporation in Instagram bios and Stories makes Instagram a social media source referral contender, so consider adding links into your Instagram Story content if you have the required following. More >>
Instagram Adds Live Video Replays
Instagram added the ability for users who go live to share live video replays on their Story for 24 hours. This option appears on the end screen of a live broadcast, along with the ability to save the video, allowing users to consume and discover live video on Instagram longer.
Instagram also reported 250 million daily active users, up from 200 million in April. More >>
New Feature “Snap Map” Rolled Out
Snap Map allows users to share their location on an interactive map for friends to see where they are and potentially meet up. Here’s what you need to know:
- A user can share their location with all friends, select friends or can go in “Ghost Mode” and not share their location with anyone.
- If a user shares their location, or has location services turned on for the app, snapchats can be added to local stories for events or popular locations that appear on the Snap Map.
- There is a heat map feature integrated that indicates where a high volume of snap stories are being uploaded in that location.
For now, there are no ads incorporated into Snap Map, but with the potential for ad revenue from this new feature, ad opportunities will probably be soon to follow. More >>
Snapchat Announces New Ad Features
Snapchat announced several new features to their ad capabilities that accommodate businesses with smaller budgets and less creative resources. Here’s what you need to know:
- Small businesses now have the access and ability to buy and manage ads using a new Ad Manager tool.
- Snapchat is launching a tool that allows businesses to create video ads quickly and easily, all in a web browser. This platform called Snap Publisher is launching in July.
- Snap Inc. is also launching a Certified Partners program that connects businesses looking to create ads with agency partners who will work with them on creating video ads optimized for Snapchat.
These new features will make advertising on Snapchat easier and more affordable for facility and service line marketing campaigns. More >>