By: Kelly Bodell
Note: If you are a hospital, contact our team to update your location information in Google.
Google is a wonderful tool, and if used correctly, it will help patients find your practice, call to make an appointment and it may even direct them right to your practice’s door. However, if your practice’s information is incorrect in Google it can create havoc.
If your phone number is incorrect you could be losing appointments, if your address is incorrect patients may get lost on their way to your location, and neither of those are a good ways to start of your patient relationship and experience with your practice.
That is why we always recommend you check your Google listing at least once a month to make sure the information about your practice is correct. If you check your listing and notice you need to make changes, follow the below steps.
>> Situation 1: If your listing is claimed and verified in your Google My Business account, you can make changes by following the below steps.
- Log into your Google My Business Account by visiting google.com/business and logging in.
- Once you are in your Google My Business dashboard, click Manage Location.
- Once you are in the listing, you can click the Edit Info link (the middle tab in the top blue bar) or you can click the red Edit button that is in the top right corner of your listing.
- When you are done typing your changes, click the Done editing button on the bottom.
>> Situation 2: If your listing is not claimed and/or verified, you can make changes by following the below steps. (*Please note you need to have a Gmail account in order to track your edits to a business listing.)
- Search your listing in Google Search or Google Maps. If you search through Google Search, a Google My Business listing may pop up on the right-hand side of the window. If you search through Google Maps, the listing will appear under the search bar on the left.
- Click on Suggest an edit link toward the bottom of the listing.Google Search:
- If you are working in Google Search, click on the edit pencil on the right side of the section you need to edit. If you are working in Google Maps, click on the text area that you want to edit and a new text box will appear where you can type in your edit. Once you are finished, click Submit.Google Search:
- Once your edits are in, monitor your Gmail account for confirmation that your edits were indeed made. If your edits were not approved or published, contact Google Support.
Please note that we recommend you claim any unclaimed listings for your practice that exist on Google. This will allow you to edit the information in the future and remove the listing if it is a duplicate listing for your practice. If there is an unclaimed listing for your practice and you have not been through Promote My Practice Couse 100 or need help claiming it, please contact the Online Marketing Team.