By: Hannah Brown
Businesses and business owners can greatly benefit when their location is claimed on Yelp. In April 2010, Social Media Today reported Yelp to be the leading consumer review site for live business fronts. Since 2010, according to a recent ReachLocal webinar, Yelp’s traffic and reviews have grown significantly to 79 million monthly visitors via desktop, 83 million monthly visitors via mobile and 83 million total reviews since inception (October 2004). Additionally, Yelp is now receiving high priority from Google, making their listings one of the first results users will see when searching for a storefront. Take a look at ReachLocal’s numbers and statistics about Yelp to find out what they mean for you and your business:
- Fifty percent of content contributed to Yelp comes from a mobile device. Yelp is mobile friendly, so users can easily leave reviews from their smartphones. Because users can instantly leave a review from their phones after an experience with a business, it is important to always provide good service from start to finish. If customers leave happy, they will be more inclined to leave a positive review after their appointment.
- Yelp users are affluent, educated adults. Fifty-nine percent of Yelp users are age 35 or older, 78% have a college degree and 66% earn over sixty thousand dollars annually. Make sure you understand your audience on every review site. Affluent and well-educated adults will expect a high level of service, and will know when it’s not. Their reviews will be especially meaningful and address actual situations they face at your business.
- Eighty-two percent of users visit Yelp because they intend to buy a product or service. Plus, eighty-nine percent of those users will make a purchase within a week. Users come to Yelp with a purpose: to find a product or service that they will ultimately purchase. Performing a monthly check to make sure your business listing’s information is complete and correct will help to ensure purchasing success for your business.
- Nearly 80% of Yelp reviews are 3-stars or higher. This statistic shows that users are more inclined to leave positive reviews than negative ones. With negative reviews taking up less than 13% of all reviews on Yelp, encouraging positive reviews from your clients and providing quality service and care will help keep you and your business in the 3-stars or higher range.
- Yelpers who mention “good customer service” are 5 times more likely to write a 5 star review than a 1 star review. The importance of this statistic is clear: Providing good customer service to your users will most likely help to significantly raise your star ratings on Yelp.
Yelp has been rated as the number one website consumers will go to read about a business and leave a review. Ensure the success of your business by paying attention to the demographics of your users, providing quality service and care and encouraging customers to leave a review on Yelp.