A few weeks ago, Google+ Local underwent a design overhaul to make its business listings look more like Google+ pages (read all about Google+ Local’s updated look here). Along with the redesign, the process of suspending duplicate listings has changed. Below you will find instructions for the new method.
Duplicate listings for a single practice location can be a problem in either Google search results or in your business owner’s Google+ Local account. There should only be one listing per practice location, both in the business owner’s account and in search results.
How do I know if I have duplicate listings?
If your practice appears more than once in your account or in search results, you have duplicate listings you need to suspend. Make sure you search your physician’s names as well–they often appear as listings in Google Maps. Follow the process below to suspend duplicates.
If you have already claimed duplicate listings for your practice that now appear in your dashboard, you will need to remove the extra listings from your dashboard before you can report them as duplicates. Start with the instructions for Removing duplicates from your account.
Removing duplicates from search results
Do multiple results for your practice appear in Google Maps search results, like this?
If so, follow these steps to report the duplicate listing:
1. Make sure you’ve claimed one of the listings for your practice in Google+ Local. To verify there’s only one active listing (per location) in your account, log in and view the dashboard.
If there’s more than one listing in your account for the same location, you have probably already claimed your duplicate listings (received PIN and verified it online), as per instructions for the old method of suspending duplicates. If this is the case, skip to the instructions for removing duplicates from your account below.
2. For every extra listing of your practice, go to its live Google+ Local Page by clicking more info. Once on the page, click the Report a Problem link toward the bottom right of the page.
3. Choose Place is a duplicate of another place and include a link to your claimed listing in the comment box (this will help Google easily find the correct listing to merge with).
Removing duplicates from your account
Are there multiple listings in your Google+ Local account for the same practice location, like this?
If so, here’s how to ensure you have only one listing per location:
1. Determine the listing you’d prefer to keep in your account.
a. Make sure you have all content filled in on the listing you are keeping (photos, business hours, description, etc.)
b. Make sure its status is active or live.
2. Delete all other listings for the same location from your account. From your dashboard, click on the listing you wish to delete. Go to the bottom of the page to Manage this listing and click the Report problems with this listing link.
3. In the fields provided, enter the email you use for the account and the link to the listing you are removing. Check off the box for I no longer want this business listing to be verified in my dashboard and click Next.
4. Once you have removed all duplicate listings from your account, go to Google Maps and search for your practice. Follow the instructions above for reporting duplicate listings found in search results.
Please note listings reported as duplicates can take several weeks to be removed from Google. If the listings are still showing up in search results after a few weeks, contact Google support directly.