A recent Mayo Clinic blog post explores the opportunities and risks of social media. The author, Matt Katz, M.D, states that he finds himself perplexed on how best to use social media effectively, and conversations online suggest that he is not alone. He proposes five themes to guide this question:
1. Social media makes our interactions in healthcare more perplexing.
2. The concept of “Health 2.0” is too narrow.
3. Embracing uncertainty in medicine can improve our health.
4. An ethics-based approach centered on the healer-wounded dyad can help us redefine health.
5. Social media should complement and enhance human interactions, not replace or degrade them.